Leading-Edge Audio Technology
Numerical Sound is a leading-edge audio technology company that sells unique content tools to aid professional and amateur musicians in producing contemporary music.
Innovative Audio Products
Numerical Sound has led the way in development of innovative audio products, such as
- DNA Groove Templates, which extracts of the feel of world class musicians, has been adopted by all the major music sequencers, including Digital Performer, Cubase, ProTools, Logic and Cakewalk.
- Drone Archeology that has been used extensively in many Hollywood feature films, film trailers as well as documentaries and TV shows around the world by a long list of very well known film/TV composers.
- The critically acclaimed Pure Space Classical and Pure Space Film CDs that capture reverberation impulses that can be used by all the major convolution programs for playback of extremely high-quality reverb.
- Sonic Trace Piracy Detection, a technique for tracing - and helping to diminish - music CD piracy.
For the the contemporary musician/producer/composer/DJ there are audio sampling CDs of great drummers that includes the midi file and the DNA groove templates of their feel.
- Clyde Stubblefied who played with James Brown and played on the Funky Drummer, Cold Sweat, I've Got a Feelin, Mother Popcorn, Sex Machine and Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud. Stubblefield has also played with Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker.
- Bernard Purdie who has played on countless recording (over 4000) and played on recordings of Steely Dan, Marvin Gaye, The Manhattans, The Jackson Five, Gladys Knight, Isaac Hayes, Donny Hathaway, B.B. King, Joe Cocker, Aretha Franklin, Miles Davios, Hall & Oatsm Al Kooper, Herbie Mann, Todd Rundgren, Cat Stevens Quincy Jones, Paul Simon, Percy Sledge, Nina Simone, James Brown, King Curtis, Grover Washington, Roberta Flack to name a few.
- Sly Dunbar who played on many recordings including Bo Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Peter Tosh, Grace Jones, Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Herbie Hancock, Shabba Ranks, Maxi Priest, Chaka Demus & Pliers, Apache Indian, Snow, Cutty Ranks, Black Uhuru, Yellowman, Gregory Isaacs
DNA Groove Templates
The DNA Groove Templates were designed to enhance your midi compositions by adding feel or humanizing your sequences so they sound natural and sound like they were performed by great musicians. You can quickly apply different groove templates to different midi tracks in order to create a realistic ensemble or band sound. You can also change the overall feel from a soft shuffle to a hard shuffle to a straight 16th note feel by simply selecting a midi track then applying appropriate groove template.
This process moves all the selected notes a fraction of a beat to match the groove template which is virtually impossible to do manually. The process greatly enhances midi composition and reduce the countless hours of midi editing required to make a sequence "sound right".
Numerical Sound has released groove templates of several world famous drummers such as Bernard Purdie, Clyde Stubblefield and Sly Dunbar as well as Jazz, Pop/Rock and R&B Collections that are based on classic songs that have lasted the test of time.
Many of Numerical Sound drum loop CDs come with DNA Groove Templates and high definition Midi files of the exact drum arrangement so you can first hear then select the right feel of the song you are working and use either the drum loop, midi file or DNA Groove template to enhance your composition.
Super High-Quality Reverberation
With the advent of real time convolution now available in Apple's Logic, Digidesign's ProTools, Cakewalk and Digital Performer sequencers as well as VST, AU and RTAS plug-ins programs such as Altiverb, Pristine Space, TL Space super high quality reverberation is now possible. What was needed is great sounding reverb impulse material to create high definition virtual reality spaces. Since 2003 Numerical Sound has created the "best sounding" reverbs anywhere regardless of hardware/software. In fact you can even place any of your music tracks to sound like they were recorded inside the Great Pyramid of Kufu in Egypt!
In 2008 Numerical Sound released a reverberation impulse product called "Hollywood Impulse Responses". Besides adding the "Hollywood Sound" ambience you can even alter the timbre of your source material so that the resulting sound is brighter or darker than the original recording. This gives the musician/composer the flexibility of changing the overall sound of a track in one simple step. Gives the user a world class sound but priced for both proressional and amateur musicians.
Over the years many well known musicians, composers and producers and engineers have used Numerical Sound products such as Jan Garbarek, George Duke, Herbie Hancock, Don Grusin, Oscar Castro-Neves, Hans Zimmer, David Newman, Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, Mark Isham and Bruce Botnick.